Home  |  Pioneers  |  Contact UsCopyright/Disclaimer

Masonic Lodge

A Masonic Lodge was opened in Cooma in 1863, the meeting place being a room of the Cooma Hotel. The Lodge was formed under the English Constitution, and continued working for some years. With the formation of the New South Wales Constitution in 1887 the Lodge resumed work, receiving a charter, and being officially numbered 164. Its meeting place was then in Lambie Street. It later moved to rooms in Sharp Street, in buildings erected by Mr. Montgomery. Then it acquired land on part of the Dawson Estate, on which it erected, and fully furnished, a handsome temple, in which the first meeting was held on 23rd. January, 1913.

The first member of the Lodge to attain Grand Lodge Honors was Very Wor. Bro. F. F. Mitchell, who was appointed District Grand Inspector of Workings. Some years later Very Wor. Bro. J. A. Perkins, had similar rank conferred upon him.

The present Worshipful Master is Bro. Rev. Canon Hirst, the Secretary now, and for some years past, being Wor. Bro. W. E. Bannister.

The Lodge meets upon the Thursday nearest the full moon.

Cooma also has established a Royal Arch, Chapter Kosciusko under the Scotch Constitution, the present First Principal being M. E. Comp, S. Martin.

"BACK TO COOMA" Felix Mitchell 1926 Page 107 - Transcribed by Pattrick Mould 2003


Home  |  Pioneers  | Contact Us |Copyright/Disclaimer


Monaro Pioneers

Published regularly, designed to keep you informed about the latest material, comments and updates on the site.