Home  |  Pioneers  |  Contact Us Copyright/Disclaimer

Arthur Blomfield
Coolamatong 1853


Mr Arthur Bloomfield

Mrs Arthur Bloomfield

ARTHUR BLOMFIELD, a son of Thomas Valentine Blomfield, the first holder of what is now Coolamatong Station, was born at Dagworth, Maitland, in 1831. He came to Manaro in 1853 and took over the management of his father's property. In 1856 he married Annie, a daughter of Col. J. K Mackenzie, of the 4th Queen's Own Regiment, who is said to have at one time owned Dangelong Run, which was managed by his son, Alexander. In 1873 he sold his property to two young Englishmen, Messrs. Edward and Arthur Higgens, who in turn sold it to Mr. W. R. Hepburn. Following upon his disposal of Coolamatong, Mr. Blomfield acquired Murranumbla from Mr. William Rutherford. This he held until his death, which took place at Goulburn in 1887 at the age of 56, following upon a fall from his horse sustained whilst riding in amateur races. Three sons and three unmarried daughters survive. His eldest. son, E. A., is Manager of the Commercial Bank at Werris Creek, the second, T.V., is Chief of the Dairy Branch of the Department of Public Health, and the remaining one, Hugh Mackenzie, is Cooma's well-known Inspector of Stock. In 1891, some four years after Mr. Arthur Blomfield's death, his property was disposed of by Messrs. Garratt and Blomfield (the latter one of his sons), Auctioneers of Cooma, for 14,500 pounds, and almost immediately resold at an advance to Messrs. Morrice Bros., of Marulan. The present owner of the station is Mr. W. Morrice.

Transcribed from "BACK TO COOMA" Felix Mitchell 1926 pp72 by Pattrick Mould 2002


Home  |  Pioneers  | Contact Us |Copyright/Disclaimer


Monaro Pioneers

Published regularly, designed to keep you informed about the latest material, comments and updates on the site.